Thursday, October 30, 2008

Gambling 2K8: XXX (Minus Vin Diesel)


If I wasn't a lunatic, I could find humor in the situation with my computer machine.

I'm fairly certain I'm incapable (not capable) of murder, but every man has that one thing that pushes them over the edge. With me, it's Dell customer support folks. If you want to see a madman in action, come visit me when I call these idiots to tell them that my computator still isn't fixed. (I can neither confirm nor deny rumors of threats being made.) Anyway, the second I post my college picks I'm packing up this rectangular piece of technology and waiting for its return. Until then, it's more infrequent posting from mommy and daddy's basement.

The picks (with brief explanations)...

Old Mississippi (-6.5) vs. War Eagle

Explanation: It's awfully early in the Houston Nutt era to be seven point favorites against Auburn.

****Texas A & M (-3.5)**** vs. Colorado

Explanation: At no point during this season have the 3-5 Aggies been impressive. The good teams pummel them and they struggle to beat the bad teams (4-point win vs. Army; 6-point win vs. New Mex.). Colroado is nothing special, but - excluding the mouth-raping they received from Mizzou - they at least try to play defense. This spread should be a pick 'em.

(Note: A & M/Colorado line could drop to three. Stay tuned.)

La. Tech (+5) vs. Fresno

Explanation: Fresno is two 3-point losses from being undefeated. The Techsters scored 7 points in a losing "effort" to Army last week. Why, Vegas? Why?

Pitt (+4.5) vs. Notre Dame

Explanation: The Irish have a good passing offense; Rutgers QB Mike Teel (aka The Worst QB Since Austin Moherman) carved up Pitt last week. You tell me.

Florida (-6) vs. Georgia (neutral field)

Explanation: I see very little difference between these teams. Matt Stafford's finally realizing his potential, and Knowshon Moreno and AJ Green might end up being the best RB and WR in their draft classes. This game features high end talent on both sides, and I just can't wrap my head around No. 8 Florida needing to beat No. 6 Georgia by a touchdown in order to cover. Whatever.

Texas Tech (+4) vs. Longhorns of Austin, Texas

Explanation: FOUR POINTS! REALLY? Excuse me...have the Red Raiders proved anything yet? Why is Vegas giving them so much respect against the best team in the land? Vickers must know something I don't.

Stanford (-30) vs. Washington State

Explanation: The Fighting Drew Bledsoes might be the worst team in America - okay, they are the worst team in America, but Stanford's no slouch, either. Listen, the Cardinal's widest margin of victory this season is a 23-10, um, beatdown of a poor San Jose State squad. Laying thirty is preposterous, but Vickers made us do it.

San Jose State (-16.5) at Idaho

Explanation: I've actually watched Sparty play, and they should never be favored on the road, and definitely not by more than two touchdowns. Question: If you can't score two touchdowns, how are you going to win by two touchdowns?

New Mexico State (+21.5) vs. Boise Broncos of Idaho

Explanation: Boise murders everyone, and it simply isn't fair to the Brian Vickers System. The Broncos have a great QB in Kellen Moore and maybe the best non-BCS defense I've ever seen. I hate betting against them, but Vegas keeps posting these asinine lines.

I saved this for last...

Arkansas State (+23.5)...at...No. 2 Alabama of the mighty SEC.

Explanation: I'll give you nine American dollars if you can explain to me why the Tide aren't favored by five touchdowns. This line makes less sense than last Sunday's Tulsa/Central Florida total (which we somehow won).

Last week: 7-7
Season record: 42-35-1

NFL picks coming Sunday (the day they play NFL games).

Brad Spieser (Brad@TwinKilling.com)
10/30/08

0 comments: