Monday, October 27, 2008

Terrelle Pryor = Clubber Lang


I do not have Terrelle Pryor's home telephone number in my Rolodex, nor do I do not know anybody who knows anybody who knows the guy. I guess what I'm trying to say is I have no inside sources from within the Terrelle Pryor camp. That said, I am 100 percent certain Terrelle Pryor hasn't slept since the fumble.

A lot was on the line Saturday, and my night is always ruined on the rare occasion Ohio State loses, so it was a huge upset that I went to the bar Saturday night feeling encouraged about the future of the college football team I support. And it's all because of that picture up there.

It would be easy to call Pryor a disrespectful baby for his actions while his teammates belted out (or partially hummed) the Alma Mater. Me? I see a young Clubber Lang, motivated and hungry.

Terrelle Pryor will never get over the fumble. Ever. He could win 13 Heismans and 62 Super Bowl rings and it won't be enough, for he let his seniors down. Of course, it's not true, but you'll never convince him otherwise...and that's the only thing that matters.

Pryor has no aspirations of being really good, or even great. He wants to be the best who ever lived. Which is why, come offseason, he's going to stare at that picture up there and watch the video of what was almost the greatest quarterback sneak in the history of quarterback sneaks, and it will set him off. He'll be Clubber Lang Mad.

If you don't believe me, you didn't watch the same game I did. You didn't watch Pryor's body language after his desperation heave was intercepted in the final seconds of the game. He couldn't believe the suddenness of it all. One second his eyes were on the endzone, the next Penn State remained undefeated. He was sick to his stomach. They lost a huge game on the national stage because he blew it. Pryor's reaction reminded me of Ricky's mom after he was murdered toward the end of Boyz N The Hood - complete and utter shock. Tell me this isn't happening.

Of course, a fumble is not as dramatic as Morris Chestnut getting shot up by gang members, but try telling Terrelle Pryor that. I have no idea if Pryor will ever be great, or even really good, but I know it will eat him alive if he doesn't bring a championship to Columbus.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Heard it a million times, right? Let me tell you, it's crap. It sounds nice and all, but it's crap. That tired old saying only applies to a special few, and the rest of us just become a little more depressed.

Let's see how Terrelle Pryor responds. My guess? It ain't long before he's the new heavyweight champion of the world.

-Brad Spieser (Brad@TwinKilling.com)
10/27/08

0 comments: