Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Magic Johnson Makes Me Want To Punch People (Like Magic Johnson)


Bill Simmons once wrote that having Magic Johnson join the cast of Inside the NBA would be like having Jon Lovitz join the cast of Seinfeld.

Truer words have never been spoken.

So, as you can imagine, I was thrilled when I read the following words: Magic Johnson joins ESPN, ABC as NBA studio analyst.

! (exclamation point)

!! (double exclamation point)

As I've written many times in this space, Inside the NBA is the best studio show of my lifetime. Better than College Gameday (which is still great, but far too gimmicky to have my undivided attention for two hours), and better than the early days of Fox NFL Sunday. (Note: The current version of Inside the NFL could make an appearance on my short list, but they need to produce a few more weeks like the last couple. I'm optimistic.)

Anyway, Magic Johnson will no longer be making untimely guest appearnces with Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley. He'll also never (a.) over-laugh at one of EJ's cheesy jokes, or (b.) bring the momentum of an otherwise perfect show to a screeching halt because he's off limits when it comes to being the butt of jokes (which is what makes a superstar like Barkley so unique, that he's not above receiving jabs from a square like EJ).

Sing it with me one more time: Magic Johnson will never again be on Inside the NBA, at least not in the foreseeable future!

That, boys and girls, is cause for exclamation points!

-Brad Spieser (Brad@TwinKilling.com)
10/15/08

2 comments:

Daniel Phillips said...

I love inside the NBA. Do you know who will be taking the spot of Johnson? Will it just be Ernie, Jet and Charles? I know Chris Webber was on there alot last year, maybe he'll take the spot. Maybe they should call up Nick Van Exel???

Twin Killing dot Com said...

Nick Van Exel did a one-night fill-in during the '07 playoffs and he was actually pretty good. He was always fairly shy with reporters and somewhat uncomfortable in front of the mic, but he fit in nicely with the TNT bunch (he and Kenny Smith are pals) and opened up more than what I was used to seeing. He also wore a nine-piece suit, which he probably didn't get from Kohls.

Anyway, Chris Webber was fantastic last year. I don't want him to be on every week, but once a month would be great. I think he's even better than Reggie Miller with EJ, Kenny and Chuck.