Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Is Todd Boeckman Still a Crappy QB?

Site update: I posted a new podcast--it's about Craig's depression, and it makes me smile.

The strangest running subplot of this football season has involved me. It's true. For some reason I've spent an inordinate amount of time writing about the Bengals, while only giving the No. 1 ranked Ohio State Buckeyes minimal attention. I think this is because so many of my loyal readers are diehard Bengals fans, and I wanted to keep them happy. Plus, last year at this time I was writing a Bengals Blog for another outlet, so my focus had to be on the men donning striped helmets. But now, I have no restrictions--I can use words like balls, shit, piss, etc., and I wouldn't have to answer to anybody wearing a blue blazer/khaki pants combo. (Except for the pay, being your own boss rules ass!) Anyway, I apologize (to whoever cares) about the neglect I've shown Ohio State football. Things are about to change. Because of what you just read, plus the Bengals hitting new lows in the Marvin Lewis era, my main focus (when the topic is football) from this point forward will be the Ohio State football team. Cue Michelle Branch...Are you happy now?

Now--if you're relatively new to this site--I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that I'm a frontrunning bandwagon jumper, and that, although I might root for the Buckeyes, I'm not a spastic nutjob who does irrational things like watching recruiting videos (i.e., the people who care a little too much). Let me assure you, that is not the case; I'm as crazy or crazier than the majority of those idiots. Hopefully, the following words will prove my legitimacy as a psycho.

Now that I have that apology out of the way, how about another?

Todd Boeckman, you my friend have finally proved me wrong. I've taken countless shots at you--beginning with my preseason prediction and up until the Saturday of the Penn State game--and now...I'm a (semi) believer.

Let's take a look at a few of the mean-spirited words I've written about the 23-year-old fifth-year junior:

From 9/1/07: "bla bla bla...when Todd Boeckman is struggling through an 8-21 performance at Penn Sate." (Note: This was taken from my preseason predictions entry for anyone interested in seeing what I was wrong about. For instance, I predicted Brian Hartline would have a better season than Brian Robiskie.)

From 9/4/07: "I didn't appreciate Todd Boeckman's wobbly turds. He might throw the ugliest ball of all time. He reminds me of one of those Wisconsin QBs who were always just effective enough. I think Boeckman is OK, but I would start Henton. You hear me? I would start Henton today." (Note: This was after the Youngstown State snoozer. At this point I still thought I was going to write a lot about Ohio State this season. This was also the first time I publicly stated my desire to see Antonio Henton start over Boeckman.)

From 9/22/07: "Todd Boeckman is a suck. Antonio Henton is a good. You've been warned." (Note: This was posted thirty minues before the Northwestern game. I'm pretty sure I just wanted Boeckman to stink up the joint, followed by Henton taking over. This would have allowed me to say my favorite four words in succession: I TOLD YOU SO!)

From 10/14/07: "I hate to be the purveyor of bad news, but...Todd Boeckman is still the quarterback of the Ohio State Buckeyes. (Note: I posted this the day after the blowout victory over Kent State. I think I just wanted to pee on the parade of happy Buckeyes fans. I can be a bad person.)

From 10/27/07: "Todd Boeckman is a crappy football player. Thankfully, Ohio State's head coach is also aware of this." (Note: This was posted an hour before the Penn State game, and although I'd been drinking, those were my true feelings towards Boeckman. It turns out that Tressel didn't think Todd Boeckman was crappy, which is why he's the head coach and I'm just a dickhead with a Dell computer)

So there you have it, despite limited Buckeye coverage, I managed to blast Boeckman on at least five different occasions.

Then the Penn State game happened.

And Boeckman played--by far--the best game of his young career (and somehow he threw a good amount of spirals, as opposed to the aforementioned wobbly turds). Believe me, Boeckman's performance made me happier than that fat kid sitting on Bill Cosby's lap, but, but...where exactly did this come from? Up until the Penn Sate game he'd shown to be a careless triggerman on countless occasions (especially versus Michigan State), and in much less hostile environments than a drunken whiteout at Beaver Stadium.

Maybe (read: hopefully) he's one of those guys who can lift his game for the most difficult of challenges. Who knows? But what I do know is that Boeckman relieved a lot of my anxiety Saturday night. I still believe he's a question mark going forward, but he's no longer a big huge gigantic neon-colored question mark, as he was five days ago.

The last time I felt this way about a junior quarterback was 2002, and his name was Craig Albert Alfonso Krenzel, and he contributed to the greatest day of my life. Here's to hoping Boeckman can channel No. 16 in 2007...




Now if you don't mind, I need to find a $20-hooker who will accept my last $19--that's all I have left. Hey, it happens to the best of us. Right Antonio?

(Note: The goal before bedtime is posting another podcast, more OSU thoughts and my NBA predictions. And I'd like to go door-to-door with trick-or-treaters so I can find out what type of person is still handing out Three Musketeers for Halloween. Wish me luck on my mission.)

-Brad Spieser (Brad@TwinKilling.com)
10/31/07

0 comments: