Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Is You Hongry? A Radio Tribute! (Podcast)


The topic turned to radio almost immediately after Craig and I started recording Friday. He was chewing gum on the air (a Radio 101 No-No), and I started comparing him to radio legend Gary Burbank, someone who constantly chewed gum on the air. This led to us joking about how Craig won the Gary Burbank Award at the Ohio Center of Broadcasting (which we only refer to as the Ohio College of Broadcasting) despite being thrown out of the program with a month remaining. It also became a way for us to goof on the absurdity of terrestrial radio (like the constant traffic/weather updates).

A few things:

1. Craig and I each attended OCB, although not together - he actually graduated from Ohio University before attending that overpriced joke of an institution. And why is it a joke? In order to be admitted into OCB, you're tested on--among other things--your ability to speak publicly. Supposedly, OCB won't just take anyone, and they want to see if you have the aptitude to one day be an on air personality. Soon after I started I found out that I was stressing out over nothing, because one kid in my class quickly earned the nickname "Mumbles." Looking back, that nickname might have been a tad generous.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because Craig shares an equally ridiculous story from his time at OCB - I'll give you a hint: It has something to do with the title of this post.

2. I swore I'd never do it, but I briefly mention the name of Darryl Parks on the podcast - and some of the insults Parks threw my way behind closed doors. (Note: I actually covered this back in January without naming names.) Anyway, I'm not bitter.

Regardless, go listen to is you hongry--a radio tribute. There are worse ways to spend six minutes.

That is all.

(Unrelated semi-rant: As a mammal who recently sliced his thumb wide open, I can tell you with absolute certainty--and I suspect I knew this all along--BAND AID brand is making a mockery of the first aid field. It's not that they don't compare to Nexcare, it's that they barely work. If you sweat even a little bit, that baby's coming off. I'm still wondering how BAND AID is the leading seller of such products, being that they've been lapped in quality by seemingly all of their competitors. Back in the 50's, Chuck Taylor's were all the rage. But their reign didn't last because they were crap. So tell me...what's the difference?)

-Brad Spieser (Brad@TwinKilling.com)
9/2/08

0 comments: