Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Who Doesn't Love The Shady World Of Recruiting?


My record last season picking college football futures was 5-1-1. This means that I am pretty great. It also means that I plan on dominating the NCAA scene once again in 2008. Which means I'll have to research a thing or two.

As I was considering Clemson as a potential team, I came across a gem from their defensive coordinator, Vic Koenning. (Note: Clemson plays Alabama Saturday night.) Koenning, who has recruited southern Alabama for years, was asked a generic question about the Crimson Tide's highly-touted freshman receiver Julio Jones (I pulled this from Bruce Feldman's blog, who did the same thing from something called The State):

"Julio? You know what, I actually ran into Julio in the spring recruiting. I said hello to him and said, 'I guess I'll be seeing you at the end of August.' Then he got out and got in his Escalade and drove off. That's (being) serious. And then I went over and watched (Alabama freshman) Burton Scott at Vigor High School at the track over there, and Burton Scott was running around. He went and got in his Escalade out at track practice and drove off. So I'm familiar with those two guys."

I'm guessing you didn't flinch when reading this. Isn't it funny how recruiting shenanigans are basically understood? Regardless:

1. Can you believe the balls on Koenning?

2. Is he suggesting the Clemson Tigers football roster is comprised entirely of student-athletes driving '89 Chevy Cavaliers? Clemson's head coach is still a Bowden, right? How do you spell the sound laughter makes?

(Important note: Julio Jones is the Randy Moss clone pictured above - he probably deserves his Escalade.)

-Brad Spieser (Brad@TwinKilling.com)
8/26/08

0 comments: