Thursday, April 16, 2009

Popular Music And Whatnot

How famous must a song be to prevent the title from ever being used again? That's the question I was asking myself yesterday as my car stereo played Our Lady Peace's decidedly average piece of noise, "Somewhere Out There."

And why was I asking myself this question?

Because "Somewhere Out There" is already taken, dammit! It was a monster hit when I was seven! It was from the animated film An American Tail, and it was duet performed by Linda Ronstadt and some black dude not named Peabo Bryson, Aaron Neville or Luther Vandross. And my mother loves it. And, oh yeah, it's kind of awesome. So awesome, in fact, that it won Grammy's and stuff (this according to www.wikipedia.org, an Internet website).

Which brings me back to the original question: How famous must a song be to prevent the title from ever being used again?

Look at it this way: If interracial mid-80's duets are vulnerable, every song is.

In other words, "Stairway to Heaven" had better watch its back.

*****End of words*****

80's cheesiness:





-Brad Spieser (Brad@TwinKilling.com)
4/17/09

0 comments: