Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dixie Chicks = Blog Topic


There are gay guys, and there are honest guys. And then there are guys who are honest about being gay.

That's me! The last guy. I'm honest about being gay.

Here's what I mean: The Dixie Chicks' 1999 hit single, "Cowboy Take Me Away," while grammatically incorrect, is a great fucking song (and not just a good one). I think I always knew this, but it took me a decade or so to tell someone. Which is what I'm doing now.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know. No secrets here, you know? And with little else to add, I leave you with the lucky assignment of absorbing the soothing sounds of one of the 310 best songs of my lifetime (and one of the 8 best featuring a woman as lead vocalist)...


(Here's an example of how the writing process is more than a little weird, at least for me: I spent the last hour listening to "Cowboy Take Me Away" on repeat, and I did so at maximum volume. And when I needed to make a toilet, I cued it up and started that bastard over; that's how much I wanted to continue listening to Natalie Maines at her absolute peak. Anyway, while I was on said toilet -- and while "Cowboy" was blaring for maybe the fourteenth straight time -- I thought I heard something at the front door. I was certain it was my roommate, Mike, returning from work. I panicked. Panicked. I sprinted out of the bathroom, down the hall and into the kitchen, where my computer was resting. I muted the sumbitch before Mike unlocked the door. I exhaled. That was close. My roommate didn't hear me listening to the Dixie Chicks! Thank God, because it would be embarrassing if somebody found out I was rocking out to the Dixie Chicks.)

-Brad Spieser (Brad@TwinKilling.com)
8/25/09

0 comments: