Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Two More And They're In?


I watched UC's triumph (or whatever) over West Virginia and instantly turned to my friends and said, "Thank God they play at Syracuse next."

What?

Here's what I was thinking: You look at the schedule before the year and "at Syracuse" is a loss. It just is. This is especially true when "at Syracuse" immediately follows an emotional victory against Huggs and the Mountaineers. There was simply no way they were going to win -- and a blowout loss was entirely possible (remember: this UC team still ain't all that great) -- at Syracuse, against a more talented, similarly desperate Orange team.

Anyway, we've been told for some time now that a 10-8 record in the Big East all but guarantees the Cats of an NCAA berth, and with "at South Florida" and "home/Seton Hall" the only games remaining, it might not be such a bad thing to be coming off an ugly loss in the Carrier Dome. Intensifies the focus, you know?

Now, whether it's as cut-and-dried as "10-8 and you're in" remains to be seen. But I have a hard time believing the Cats will be left out if they accomplish such a thing.

All they (should) need is a modest two-game win streak against two somewhat lousy teams, and it starts tonight in Tampa, Florida, where the Cats will take on the Bulls of South Florida.

Am I excited? I don't know, I guess. Yeah, sort of.

End of words.

(By the way, South Florida, only a two-and-a-half-point underdog is a Vickers tonight, but I'm conveniently giving the system a rest for one day)

-Brad Spieser (Brad@TwinKilling.com)
3/3/09

0 comments: